This evening, I would like to have your attention to address a recently raised concern.
My celebrated opponent has proposed an idea, which I dispute. I will briefly feign affection and respect for him. By taking a position opposing such a luminary, I will appear to elevate my inferior status nearer to his.
I will begin by contorting my opponent's proposal, creating a straw-man argument, easy to destroy but not so flimsy that decimating it will lack challenge or entertainment value.
I will follow by defaming my opponent's character thereby implying that his arguments, regardless of their content, do not hold.
Finally I will present my own position, in three parts:
First I will convey wrong ideas that will nevertheless appeal to persons with below-median intelligence. This aims to secure the favor of half the audience.
Second, I will reformulate my opponent's proposal in terms favorable to myself, using his very proposal, distinguished only by inflections and tone of voice. I will pepper this paraphrasing with polysyllabic and obscure diction, employing supercilious terminology and playful ironic bourgeois malapropisms to ensnare pseudo-intellectuals who otherwise hold a cynical position toward a charismatic personage such as myself.
Third, I will reinforce the claim that these ideas are superior to my opponent's, simply by repeating that claim several times.
I will conclude by taking questions and using each one to congratulate myself for my success and, if the occasion permits, to make hilarious jabs at my sad opponent.
I look forward to your attention at the event tonight.
Thank you.
Sunday, January 16, 2011
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment